Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Scars.

Scars.
Physical.
Battle wounds from lost wars.
Reminders of the pain.
The pain that was too much to bear.
Advertisements of the past.
Underneath it all are more.
Scars.
Emotional.
Deeper than before.
Seeping down to the soul.
Eventually showing themselves.
The most painful of all.
The world is full of them.
Scars.
Physical.
Emotional.

I wrote that quite a while ago, as in May. I can't remember exactly what it's about, but I have a pretty good idea. It involves someone I really don't want to talk about right now.

But anyway.. I have scars, like anyone else. There are scars on my knees when I tripped while running to see my cousin play softball and falling on my bike. There are muliple scars on my hands from various paper cuts and scratches that I was too lazy to medicate. There is one on my forearm that I gave myself. I also consider a past relationship a scar on my heart and all of my bad experiences scars on my brain.

I'm not ashamed of any of these scars, though. They make me who I am.

Right now I'm in an independent study for art, and the next project I'll be working on is a series of x-ray type paintings. I've chosen four areas of the body to paint. Hand, knee, skull, and chest. If anyone asks me what they mean, I'll likely say I just liked the x-ray look and chose parts that looked fun to paint/generic body parts. But I'll let you guys in on a secret (if you haven't guessed already). They're places where I have scars. I'm painting them to remind me of where I've been and that I don't need to be ashamed.

Don't let your scars bind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment