Thursday, July 21, 2011

An occurance that made me sad.

Today I was babysitting these two little girls who go to my church. One is 7 and the other is 5. We were watching a movie and they weren't paying attention and were doing something I can't remember, when the 5 year old pulled up her shirt for some reason I cannot reacall. Her older sister said, rather matter-of-factly, "You're fat." This young girl who will be going into Kindergarten in the fall replied with a simple "I know." And let me tell you, she is definitely not fat. She just has one of those bellies that little kids have, you know?

It disgusted me that the media has infiltrated so far into our society that girls as young as 5 are aware that they may be viewed as "fat."

What is "fat" anyway? It's a word that society has linked negative connotations to and uses to make girls feel terrible about themselves who don't deserve it. I'm sick of society and the media's apparent necessity to make girls feel like they have to look a certain way to be deemed pretty.

Every girl is beautiful.
Every girl is wanted.
Every girl is loved.

(Oh and this goes for boys, too)

And now for some unrelated pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment